Sunday, September 25, 2011

Wk4 - Blog Response @ Mike


Week 4 - Art of Possibility blog (ch. 9-12)


When talking about “the board,” I am challenged to remind myself that in every situation I am in, I WILL have an influence; that influence will have far reaching effects on the results that I am trying to obtain. As a teacher, this plays a vital in the success of my students. Many times, students will harbor things inside due to something I have said or my personality or attitude. It is up to me to make sure that I am on guard of how I position myself on the board.

Framing possibility…how many times have we, as educators framed possibility? How many times have we taken advantage of every opportunity to capture the right moment at the right time and turn it into an opportunity for success? I think we have these chances everyday. However, I personally believe that these opportunities can be captured best when we rely on our instinct, not necessarily our training. Too many times, a situation arises and, in our head, we are “trained” to do something different, simply because it’s “by the books.” However, it is at that moment, we hold the key to something valuable in our hands and we must ask ourselves, which door will we open?
dhburch said...
I agree with your point about students harboring things, but I don't think this is a fixed issue. I think it is very easy to say something that is taken the wrong way or dismiss something that is more serious than it appears. I also think, though, that your ongoing relationship with your student will override any ill-feelings about assumed mis-treatment. If you consistently show that you care about them and that you are not perfect, they will grow to know that you don't dislike them or disrespect them and forgive anything they think slighted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment