Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wk2 Blog Response @ Heather


Wk 2 Reading: "The Art of Possiblity"

In the first chapter I can totally relate to people seeing two sides of situations.  My fiancée is a complete pessimist (he says realist) and I am a hopeless optimist.  He will see the negative in every situation…everyone is out to get everyone else.  I, however, have this complete naïve trust of people and think people are genuinely good people who occasionally have poor judgment.  I think this is one of the reasons we compliment each other so well. 

I was intrigued by the idea that we produce reasons for our actions that are plausible in our own minds.  When working with children (or even adults for that matter), I frequently ask “why did you do that?” and the answers don’t always make sense to me.  I have been told on more than one occasion that I am a person that “has an answer for everything”.  My dad tells me it makes me argumentative, but in my mind, I am just trying to express why it seems like a good idea to me.  Now I can tell him that it is my own interpretation of what is going on around me.

Heather:

I think they call manufacturing reasons, rationalizing, but when you call it interpretation, it gives me pause. Your version makes it sound like merely a case of putting things into context. Everyone comes from a different point-of-view, so it makes sense that we would each represent a different context.

I too struggle with perpetually unhappy people, at least I am interpreting them as unhappy. Its easy to say that they are content looking for something to complain about or looking for the negative, but what strikes me is that those people don't seem to be able to will happiness. In most cases, I think "positive" people can simply decide to be upbeat and happy no matter what's going on around them. In my case, it's because I feel like crap feeling like crap (not very poetic, but appropriate) and I decide to change. I will even go so far as to say that it works with minor illness too (or at least it helps you to avoid sick days).

BTW - My wife and I are very similar to you and your husband. We've been married 22 years and we are polar opposites. As long as she remembers who's in charge and has the final say, we'll continue to get along...

No comments:

Post a Comment