Sunday, September 18, 2011

Wk3 Blog Response @ Mike


Wk 3 - Think Out Loud Post (#2)

Well......it is official, but not official. I have submitted to present at the Texas Bandmasters Association in San Antonio this summer. I have gotten a confirmation email stating that my application has been received, so now I am waiting for approval. After thinking about this more, I am beginning to really grasp the immensity of these possibilities. Truly, there are no limits. The only thing that limits me and what I am capable of is myself.

I submitted an application to present a session on Web 2.0 and the Bandroom. I know there are a lot of tools that are available for band directors to use. But I would like my focus, if I am asked to present, to be on how learning can continue outside the band room. What can band directors do or implement that will engage students when they are not marching on the football field, or in a parade, or in a jazz ensemble, or in a concert? How can I help music educators reach outside the box and find other ways to educate their students WITHOUT having them pick up their instruments. So the question is, can you still learn while on Facebook or playing Call of Duty or watching Harry Potter?

We might soon find out! Stay tuned!

1 comments:

dhburch said...
Congratulations on your plan. Sounds like a perfect fit. However! Do you guys really need to fill in down time??? Other than what seems like year round training if you are a high school football player or coach or my own year round robotics team, the high school band has to be the one of the most labor intensive programs for students, parents and especially the directors. I'm surprised that everyone involved doesn't simply stare at the wall when they aren't on the grinder (high school parking lot) or in the classroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment