Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wk2 Reading - Welcome to the Club!

http://www.art-photograph-gallery.com/image-files/pictures-of-corn3.jpg

"Congratulations!  As of today, you are designers!  You are MY people…OK, that sounds a little weird, but it's true!  From this day on, I will look at you differently.  Every time I see you in the hallway, or on the soccer field or at the McDonald's around the corner, I will see you as one of US.  By the end of this class, 45 minutes from now, you will be a different person, with new skills a new attitude and a new future.  When you need me to help you, I will, because you are fellow designer.  When you need to use the awesome equipment that we have in this lab, you can, because you're a designer.  If I have a computer open, the seat is yours, because you're a designer, like me.  We designers help each other.  We're part of a team, a super-selective group, an exclusive, talented, secret-society of creative-minded individuals that cooperate to make the world a better place.  No matter where you go in life or what kind of career or job you have in the future, you will be part of this group, because you are a designer.  You will be better at everything you do, because you are a designer.  You'll be better at your job than the person in the next cubicle.  You will be a more desirable employee than the guy next to you waiting to interview for the same position.  Any door will be open to you because you are a designer and I am honored to work with you.  Alright, now I'd like to get to know you.  When I call your name, tell me what else you're good at…"

That rather long diatribe is my opening salvo.  This is how I greet my Introduction to Graphic Design students for the first time (more or less - I'm not one for reading my comments, so I may get creative and ad lib a bit, but if I were reading it, that is what it would sound like).  I want my students to know right away that they have stepped into a new world and are full-fledged members of that new world.  They instantly have all the privileges and access they need to do their job and that I am there as a guide, a cohort, a colleague.  I tell them 2 other things before allowing them to leave that first class;  "Please don't go back to your other classes and look at your fellow students with an arrogant "I can do something you can't do" attitude.  Know it in your heart, but be generous with your knowledge or at least friendly with your comments.  You will be able to do that illustrative book report better than they will, but the grade will show that, you don't have to."  The other thing I share is equally important to teenagers.  Knowing that they have the skills to be the best is one thing, but how will that help them? The next thing I say is that I am going to teach them how to take their new skills and make money.  Now, compared to the first statements I made, this seems blatantly capitalistic, self-centered and shallow…and I agree.  I think that's all there is to say about that.  If offering the occasional self-serving capitalistic lesson is wrong…how interesting!

I wanted to share this bit of teaching, because I think it demonstrates the corn/husk or marble/statue mentality discussed in our reading.  "I already know you are great (I can taste the buttery goodness now…), I just want to help clear away the chafe so we can see the essence.  I am Giving an A to my students without them having to lift a finger, memorize a vocabulary word or prove anything other than they can show up, plant their butts in one of my chairs and honor me with their presence.  I think that being positive for positive's sake is an awesome self-motivational tool.  I can always choose NOT to be anything; glum, depressed, bored, tired, ill, successful, etc.  No, I'm not eschewing modern medicine, I'm just saying a positive attitude goes a long way, and when used correctly can be almost as powerful as a pill or vitamin.

As long as I can get my students to label themselves "talented" or "skilled" or "part of the team", I have gone a long way toward encouraging their success.  I fight less battles in the classroom and they fight less battles with the subject.  As teachers, you and I must believe in success!  We must assume that our students will shine.  We must assume that they will teach US and make sure that it happens.

We don't need no stinkin' boxes.  I can see the box, but I don't fit in it.  My talents are so great that I can think around the box.  I can use the box, but I won't be limited to the box,  In fact, I wonder what's really in this box?  If I wind it up until it pops, what surprise comes out of the box?  Wouldn't it be great if we could get all of our students to think that way?  Wait until they realize that it is merely themselves exploding out of the box.  They will be emerging from the norm.  They will be inquiring.  They will ASSUME that they can fix the world, and just need to experiment with it until they discover the answers under the husk.

Image Credit: http://www.art-photograph-gallery.com/image-files/pictures-of-corn3.jpg

3 comments:

  1. David,

    I love your opening "speech" to your students. What is so wonderful about this is that often times you have students who are dying to fit in somewhere...be a part of something. You are providing that opportunity for them. I think you absolutely are building them up for huge success. I also like how you talk to them about being humble and generous. I think these are traits that are slowly disappearing from today's youth. When watching "mentors" on t.v. they are bombarded with trash talking, bragging and other negative behaviors. It is great to have a positive male figure to look up to.

    Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, now I'm craving buttery corn-on-the-cob. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like David, I like. Great attitude sounds like your doing a lot of what the book tries to convey. I like that you deal with the labels or boxes the students have accepted. I thinks having the students understand that if they don't except the boxes people try and put them in their dreams are always with in reach.

    ReplyDelete