Monday, October 4, 2010

BP4_Web2.0_Tools

Before I refer to the tool that I am going to share, I want to point to another tool I discovered for PC users.  If you edit your own HTML (not in iWeb), please check out Pop Feed Back (http://www.popfeedback.com/).  This is a very easy to use, quick survey tool that you can add to your websites and blogs.  One or two question feedback gathering bubbles will pop-up on top of your site(s) to grab a little information from your site's users (if they want to help) to help you improve the site or your class or communications efforts. etc.  I am unable to use it (and show it to you) because I use iWeb almost exclusively.  I attempted to install this on my iWeb sites but I am unable to get it placed exactly where it needs to go (even with third party software called iWeb Enhancer) due to the lack of a code view in iWeb.  If you do edit your own code, give it a shot.


was able to use an application called SimpleDiagrams (http://www.simplediagrams.com).  The free version of this tool has a dozen applications, both in my classroom and in my research.  I am including a quick sketch below that was made to convey some of the communications tools that I will be using to help my Critical Friends understand my goal.  Beyond the research and collaboration applications, since this version is free and works well with Mac computers, I can load it on to the computers that my students use.  When the application is available to all of my students I can use it to teach them how to map out ideas and team projects.  I can use it on the fly to show how certain business, production and work-flow processes work.


The tools inherent to this program are simple and fun looking.  If I have the full version on my teacher computer ($19) I can save starter files that the students can complete to show understanding of a concept or work together to solve a problem. 
As I am moving closer and closer to operating a paperless environment, this online collaboration is key to that goal.  Please see the sample below:

2 comments:

  1. David, what a dynamic map you have created with SimpleDiagrams. It definitely shows that even our Action research projects might have a simple side. We know differently but you could not tell from this a=diagram. I can see why you are using this with your critical friends, as it is clear, concise and all on one page. I like the post-it, perhaps this one wont fall off:). The ability to integrate photos also gives it a human side. Nice job and thank you for sharing this. I will have to try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! a simple tool that creates such professional looking work. Great job, David.

    I can see this at work in an elementary class to help organize and lesson or help set up projects. In a science class, this tool could break the boundaries and help every child succeed.

    Thanks for sharing this incredible and incredibly affordable tool with us!

    ReplyDelete